We want people to live the best lives they can.
NASP is a national charity that champions social prescribing. We support and connect people, communities and organisations so that more people across the UK can enjoy better health and wellbeing. Each of us has the right to define our own lives. To thrive rather than just survive. To grow beyond the limitations of our circumstances. We all deserve help when we’re finding things tough, and to enjoy a sense of connection and value in our communities. But too often people can’t get the support they actually need, when they need it.
Social prescribing works alongside traditional healthcare to resolve issues that contribute to poor health and quality of life. It creates sustainable, supportive networks and relationships. And it connects people to non-medical support.
Our goal is to ensure social prescribing thrives across the whole country. We envision a vibrant, innovative, and ambitious movement. One that connects communities and mobilises hundreds of thousands of people. Each with a shared commitment to transforming lives.
- We support the grassroots groups and national charities who offer socially prescribed activities.
- We connect the health system to the incredible work that’s happening in communities.
- We help medical professionals, including Social Prescribing Link Workers and students.
- We work with leading researchers to build more evidence for social prescribing.
- We develop effective new approaches to common problems.
- And we champion social prescribing across the world.
We know that social prescribing plays an important role in preventing health problems, in combating loneliness and in making sure people get the practical support they need.
As we continue to mature as an organisation, we want to champion the people who make social prescribing thrive. And to make a lasting difference to communities and individuals across the country.
How do I access social prescribing via the NASP?
Social prescribing involves helping you take part in social activities or get practical support to improve your health and wellbeing. From befriending services to debt advice, gardening groups to art clubs, it is based on what matters to you.
Some parts of the UK have a local social prescribing service that you can contact directly (such as Health Connections or Bailiwick Social Prescribing here in Guernsey). You can also call your GP practice and ask about social prescribing in your area.
There are also many other ways to find out about activities and groups for yourself or a loved one.
- Search online for an activity you (or they) might enjoy
- Find online directories of charities and events in your area (such as the Health Connections Directory)
- Look for notices or ask in your nearest library, place of worship, leisure centre, community centre, or even your local shop
- Read your local newspapers
For more information on the NASP, please contact them directly. To receive direct support locally, contact Health Connections or Bailiwick Social Prescribing to book a 1-1 appointment.